9.11.2005

Interpersonal Communication in China

Some time ago, my Interpersonal Communication Book was translated into Chinese (I’m still not off the high I got from that) and I thought it strange that a book with a decidedly "Western" perspective and research would be translated into Chinese, apparently to be used in universities throughout the country. Now, I see that not only do courses in interpersonal communication apparently exist in China but, the New York Times reports, Fudan University in Shanghai now has a new class, Introduction to Gay and Lesbian Studies--largely, it seemed from the description, dealing with gay and lesbian interpersonal relationships. Apparently it’s the first such course ever offered to undergraduates in China and is likely to encourage more such courses at other universities. According to the Times the class was overflowing.